As the holidays begin, it’s easy to start thinking: “How am I going to follow my nutrition plan? What about a frequent exercise schedule?”
At Farrell’s, we give you the training to remain on track. Concentrating on nutrition and exercise will keep you accountable to your long-term goals.
You can start building healthy habits today by trying a free week of fitness classes at FXB Frisco. Here are several other ideas to help you get through the coming season while still pursuing your goals.
4 Helpful Tips to Navigate the Holiday Season
1. Set Your Alarm Clock
Do your workout immediately in the morning if your schedule has room for it. The last few months of the year are busy, but it’s better to cross your workout off your to-do list—instead of telling yourself you’ll make it up tomorrow.
2. Plan Your Meals
It’s easier to plan your meals a few days ahead of time, instead of making poor decisions when you’re hungry and without a dinner plan. Our Simple Meal Plan makes grocery shopping and meal planning easy. Contact us to pick up your copy.
If you’re going out to eat during the weekend, adjust your meals on weekdays to keep your nutrition proportioned.
Related: 6 Reasons Why Farrell’s Nutrition Works
Sample Weekday Meal Plan
Here’s an example of a weekly meal plan you can customize:
- Breakfast: healthy protein shake
- Lunch: nutrient-dense salad with fresh veggies and protein
- Dinner: chicken with a salad, acorn squash or sweet potato
Here’s an easy-to-follow brined chicken recipe from AllSpice Culinarium in Des Moines.
You only need two ingredients:
- One whole chicken
- All Spice Brining Mix (half packet)
- Boil 3 cups of water in a small saucepan. Sprinkle in a half packet of the brining mix and boil until the crystals dissolve.
- While you are waiting for the brine, rinse the chicken under cold water. Put the chicken in a large stockpot with cold water and ice until the chicken is fully underwater. Pour brine into the stockpot and stir to consistently distribute.
- Cover with a lid and refrigerate overnight. The following day, rinse the chicken before roasting it.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan, breast side up and brush olive oil or butter over the chicken. (Optional: Stuff with celery and onion.)
- Bake uncovered for 75 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 180 degrees. Toward the end of baking, broil your chicken if you like it browned.
- Remove from oven and let the chicken rest for 15-20 minutes.
You can also follow this recipe to cook your Thanksgiving turkey. If cooking turkey, use the whole packet of brining mix.
3. Take a Cozy Break
Get your favorite blanket, find a comfortable spot and take a nap. A 30-minute nap is rejuvenating and helps you keep healthy during the busy holiday season.
If you need help falling asleep, check out the Calm app. You’ll rest peacefully and wake to a pleasant chorus of birds, not an irritating phone alarm.
4. Enjoy the Season
Remember to find joy in the upcoming busy season.
- Schedule a dinner with loved ones
- Reduce your weekday stress by spending time on Sundays meal planning
- Take a break when you need it
Build Healthy Habits Today with FXB
Now is the time to start building healthy habits to carry you through the holidays. At Farrell’s Frisco, we’ll instruct you on nutrition, exercise and more. Get started right away by claiming your free week of classes with us.